Wednesday, August 20, 2008

An Eventful 29 Week Appointment

I would like to first say how much I LOVE my midwife. Yesterday I decided to re-organize our closet while Ben was at preschool. Since we are not doing a nursery until the little bean gets here, I need to find something to occupy my nesting urges. It was a big project, so I knew I would probably have a couple more contractions than normal that night. (I have been contracting since 18 weeks. Super Fun). Well I had about 15 in a two and a half hour span. Against Nate's wishes, I decided not to call since my appointment was at 9 this morning. When the nurse came in to give me the horrible glucose drink for my diabetes test, I told her about the activities from the night before. That in combination with the fact I had preterm labor with both the boys, earned me a trip across the hall to monitor my contractions. I only had one in the thirty minutes they monitored me which was fantastic. She checked me and said that I was not dialated at all, but she wanted me to have an ultrasound to check my cervix length to make sure it was not shortening/funneling. After getting those results her response was, "You have the longest cervix ever." She wanted it to be in the 3 to 4 cm range. Mine was 5.8! Yeah me! She told me I need to make sure I am resting for at least an hour in the afternoon and drinking lots of water. But (and this is the best part) NO BEDREST yet. My weight gain was perfect, bringing my total to 18 pounds so far this pregnancy. I get the results from my iron, diabetes, and preterm labor tests this week so hopefully they will come back normal. I went in very nervous, but left feeling so relieved!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Gordon Family said...

Yeah for you, over 5 is unhead of so that is amazing. You should make it with no bed rest. Unfortunately, braxton hicks are all too common and as long as those cervixes hold tight and long there is nothing to worry about. They aren't contractions unless they change our cervix so have peace in that. I am so happy for you.

August 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM

 
Blogger Kelly and Brent said...

Lisa,
I am so glad your contractions are causing you to dilated yet. Thank goodness. That little bean needs to stay in you a lot longer :)

Well try and get some rest, even though I am sure it seems impossible with 2 boys but anything will help.

August 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger Kelly and Brent said...

Sorry... I was on my sister's account, the last post was from me, Jennifer

August 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger MattandErin said...

Oooh... Sounds like a much easier time this go round! That is awesome! You got to love Ginny! Thanks for the update! Erin

August 21, 2008 at 8:08 AM

 
Blogger Nancy Eckert said...

As Pop Pop was fond of saying- One challenge after another! I know everything will be fine so keep your positive attitude and beautiful spirit . I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love and good juju your way!
Aunt Nancy

August 23, 2008 at 8:44 AM

 
Blogger The Barretts said...

I hope you can enjoy a little rest in the afternoons...easier said than done! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes great :)

August 23, 2008 at 9:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home